From small appliances to power tools, BLACK+DECKER has nailed it all, since more than a century ago. At the same time, the family-owned Avalon Bay focused on becoming a leading manufacturer of small home appliance products. Different company profiles competing in the same niche. Let’s see what kind of benefits we get from these air fryers.
Versatility and functions
Sharing this common principle of rapid air circulation, the two air fryers include standard functions. You will see that they come with:
- Cooking timer that automatically shuts off the unit once the time elapses;
- Variable temperature control to handle anything from frozen foods to fresh meats;
- Two indicator lights that tell you when the unit is heating and when the preheat temperature was reached;
- Dishwasher-safe air fryer basket;
- Cool-touch handle for keeping you safe while checking the food or transferring it to a plate.
Of course, if the functions are rather standard, their specific details can make the difference in terms of versatility.
From this perspective, we have to notice that:
- The Black+Decker Purify HF100WD air fryer – has a 60-minute timer, while its temperature control starts from 175°F and goes to 400°F, 6 options in total;
- The Avalon Bay 100B air fryer – has a 30-minute timer while its temperature control starts from 180°F and goes to 400°F, 4 options in total.
The Black+Decker unit seems to be more flexible in terms of settings. At the same time, the Avalon Bay unit is more flexible in terms of accessories. The latter comes with a metallic rack and a 52-page cookbook, among other things.
Depending on how skilled you are at air frying, you might find one or the other to be more versatile… The main features and versatility aren’t enough to make one of them take the lead, so, let’s proceed to the design. That way, the looks and, possibly, the ease of use, should be more revelatory.
Design and build
The construction of these air fryers will somewhat fit the classic patterns. You have a pot with a cool-touch handle where you insert the frying basket. You just put your seasoned food on it and place these two inside the main unit housing.
From the outside, you can instantly see that…
The Black+Decker Purify HF100WD air fryer comes with the following design features:
- Available in two colors, white and black;
- Measures 11.5 x 11.5 x 13 inches;
- Weighs 12 pounds;
- Has a 2-liter cooking capacity;
- Includes a basket separator for cooking different foods at the same time;
- Has two control knobs, for the timer settings (0-10-20-30-40-50-60 minutes plus intermediary positions) and temperature settings (175-200-250-300-350-400°F);
- Also has two indicator lights – the graphic labels suggest which one is for the power and which one is for the temperature;
- Displays a set of written instructions of time and temperature for different foods, imprinted on top of the outer case.
The Avalon Bay 100B air fryer, on the other hand, has the following attributes:
- Available in only one color, black;
- Measures 13.5 x 11 x 12.8 inches;
- Weighs 14 pounds;
- Has a 3.2-liter cooking capacity;
- Includes a similar basket separator, for cooking different foods at the same time;
- It comes with a metal roasting rack, for two layers cooking;
- It also has a baking dish;
- Has two control knobs, for the timer settings (0-5-10-15-20-25-30 minutes plus intermediary positions) and temperature settings (180-250-320-400°F);
- Has two small indicator lights with no graphic labels;
- Displays a set of succinctly written instructions and graphic details for different foods, imprinted on top of the outer case.
To sum up all these aspects, it becomes obvious that the main components are relatively the same. But it’s the design elements that make the difference, with all the illustrations and labels and control levels. We only looked at the design elements yet… It seems that our Black+Decker Purify HF100WD vs Avalon Bay 100B air fryer review might place the Black+Decker model ahead. Which one do you think will be easier to use?
Ease of use
Everything we have pinpointed by now will help us conclude that the HF100WD unit is more flexible and intuitive to use. It’s true, the 100B unit comes with more accessories, to give you a bit of wiggle room, depending on what you’re cooking. But when it comes to just looking at the air fryer and knowing what you have to do. The first model is obviously more intuitive. To give you a couple of specific details, the outer case:
- Displays more detailed cooking information, for more foods, compared to Avalon Bay;
- Displays the temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit degrees;
- Comes with two extra intermediary temperatures on the knob;
- Features a double working time of up to 60 minutes;
- Has larger, clearly labeled LED indicators
While it has no cooking book in the package, the web is full of downloadable or video air fryer recipes. This is clearly the last issue in terms of ease of use! We only have a few things left to mention, like the traditional advantages and disadvantages for each model. Then, we’ll be ready to wrap up a conclusion for this comparative review.
Pros and cons
As mentioned, both the Black+Decker Purify HF100WD air fryer and the Avalon Bay 100B air fryer are made in China. We’ve seen the similarities and differences between them. Now, let’s get down to underlining the pros and cons that derive from these particularities.
A condensed Black+Decker Purify HF100WD review will mention::
- A lighter design;
- Dual convection fans technology;
- Supports double cooking time;
- Supports two extra cooking temperatures;
- Has more and more-detailed cooking settings inscribed on it;
- Boasts a more intuitive general design;
- Comes with a significantly lower price tag;
- Enjoys a 2-year limited warranty;
- It has a smaller cooking capacity;
- It has a timer adjustable from five to five minutes;
- It has no cooking book or extra accessories in the package.
On the other hand, a condensed Avalon Bay 100B review will mention:
- A slightly larger cooking capacity;
- A bit more flexibility in adjusting the temperature from minute to minute;
- Comes with more accessories that support even the two-level cooking;
- Offers a handy air fryer recipes collection;
- It is larger and heavier;
- It is less intuitively designed;
- It is more expensive;
- It comes with half of the other model’s warranty – only 1-year limited warranty;
- It supports half of the cooking time of the other model – only 30 minutes at once;
- It has some concerning reviews regarding the quality of the nonstick layer – it seems to peel off, and the handle that can easily get broken.
From everything we’ve seen during this evaluation, the Avalon Bay air fryer looked more interesting for three main reasons. It has a larger cooking capacity, tucks in some handy accessories, and lets you increase the timer from one minute to another. The price, significantly higher, might have been justified by the accessories, if only it weren’t for the negative reviews about its Teflon! Teflon peeling, though reported after about one year of use, is still a serious concern… And the same goes for the limited one year warranty!
The Black+Decker Purify air fryer, however, aside from the slight disadvantage of the cooking capacity, scores all the tempting attributes – from the great price to the encouraging 2-year warranty and its ease of use.
It’s not that we don’t trust the Avalon Bay air fryer – you know we’ve analyzed it independently and it got a similar score to our winner from today. But the quality it provides and the way it stands the test of time don’t really justify the price difference. So, for now, suffices to say that Black+Decker makes the better choice in this particular Black+Decker Purify HF100WD vs Avalon Bay 100B air fryer review!